Questions for discussion - Jonah
Please read our guideline on How to lead a Bible study before starting.
Questions for discussion
Jonah was an unwilling prophet given an assignment which he found displeasing. He chose to flee away from God rather than obey Him. Have you ever found yourself wanting to turn and run away rather than obey God?
It is better to obey God than to disobey Him. Often in spite of our rebellion, God in His mercy will give us another chance to serve Him when we return to Him.
For a more comprehensive article on Jonah check here
There are also some notes available for this study
Jonah 1: 1-16
1. What did God tell Jonah to do ?
2. Why did he run away ?
3. Jonah tried to get away from God's presence (verse 3). Is this possible ?
Genesis 4:16, Job 1:12, Psalm 139:7 - 12
4. How can we as Christians keep away from God's presence?
5. What was the result of Jonah's disobedience ?
6. Why do you think Jonah was able to sleep through the storm ?
7. How can we as Christian "sleep spiritually" ?
Romans 13: 11-14
8. Can you use verse 13 to explain the term "Obedience is better than sacrifice"
(1 Samuel 15:22)
Jonah 1:17 - Jonah 2:1 - 10
1. What did Jonah do to make God let Him out of the fish.
2. Jonah seemed to understand God's loving kindness and mercy (verse 8). How can we as Christians obtain the mercy of God ? Hebrews 4:14 - 16
3. Despite all that was happening to Jonah he still made a " Sacrifice to God" with the voice of thanksgiving. (verse 9)
What does the sacrifice of praise mean to us as Christians ?
Hebrew 13: 15 - 16, Acts 16: 23 - 26
4. How long was Jonah in the belly of the fish ?
For how long was Jesus in the grave ? Matthew 12:39-40
If God could do these two great miracles why do we find it hard to trust Him for smaller things?
1. What made the people of Nineveh repent ?
2. How long did it take for the people of Nineveh to repent when Jonah started preaching ?
3. Do we sometimes find it hard to preach the gospel If yes, why ?
4. What would happen if we never preached the gospel ? Romans 10:13-15.
5. Where did Jonah get his forty day deadline from ? (verse 4)
6. What was the result of the people of Nineveh's repentance ?
7. How can we use our neighbourhood groups as a venue to preach the gospel.
Jonah 4: 1-11
1. Why was Jonah displeased ?
What attributes of God's character are mentioned in verse two ?
2. If Jonah knew so much of God's grace and compassionate heart why was he so surprised that God did not destroy Nineveh ?
3. Do you think a knowledge of God's love and mercy would help your relationship with God?
2 Peter 1:1-3
4. God used a brilliant illustration to show Jonah why he did not destroy Nineveh
(verse 5 - 11) Has God ever given you a picture or illustration on the need to preach the gospel. ?