1 Samuel 10: 2-27
Saul is chosen king
Saul's fathers' donkeys had been found while Saul was out looking for them. His father was now more worried about him than the donkeys.
After Samuel had anointed Saul as king God gave him a new heart. He received the gift of prophecy and started to prophesy with the prophets. Those who looked on must have been greatly amazed at the gift that seemed to suddenly come upon Saul.
What gifts has God given you? Remember the gifts of God are just what they say they are - gifts. We do not need to be super spiritual to receive them, nor are they a measure of our maturity.
They are freely given to us by the grace and mercy of God. Saul never grew in maturity and soon started to make several costly mistakes and fell into sin (as we shall learn in later studies). Let's learn to use the gifts that God has given us with humility and wisdom.
1. Can you explain what Samuel said to Saul in verses 1-7?
2. What does it mean to prophesy? 1 Corinthians 14:3
3. What other gifts of the Holy Spirit are there available to us today? 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
4. Why do you think the people were surprised when they saw Saul prophesying? Verses 11- 13
5. Would you be surprised if God gave you a knew gift?
6. Why do you think Saul did not tell his uncle the whole story about his trip to Samuel? Verses 14-16
7. Are there times when it is not appropriate to tell other people all the things God has told you?
8. When the people gathered to have Samuel present their king to them Saul went hiding. What to you think he was playing at? Verses 17-23
9. How did they find him?
10. In what other circumstances should we 'inquire of the Lord'
11. Mention some things you have learnt from this study?