The church - Questions for discussion
For a writeup on this study see here
The church is the body of Christ. It is made up of all those who place their trust and faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus died to bring us into a living relationship with God. Making Jesus your Lord and saviour brings you into the body of Christ - the church.
THE BODY OF CHRIST
1. What does the Bible mean by the Church?
- Eph 2:19, Col 1:24
2. How do you become a member of the church?
- Eph 2:13, Jn 3:4-6
3. What other words or phrases are used to describe the church
1 Cor 12:14
Eph 3:14 - 15
4. What do you like about the church?
5. How has the church helped you?
6. How can you contribute to the ministry of the church?
7. The church is also described as a family.
How should members of a family treat one another? Eph 4:31-32
8. What is the most important ingredient that holds a family together?
- 1 Cor 13:13
How the body functions
1 Corinthians 12:12-26
1. What parts of the body are mentioned in the above verses?
2. Do you think any part of your natural body is insignificant?
Imagine what would happen if your eyes said they no longer want to see your mouth on your body?
3. Why are you important to the body (verse 18)?
4. How should the members of the body of Christ treat one another (verse 25-26)?
5. What qualities does the bible request of overseers (leaders or bishops) in the church. ?
- 1 Timothy 3:1-7
How are church members expected to treat overseers (elders or leaders) in the church?
- 1 Timothy 5: 17-19
THE GROWING CHURCH
1. How many people were added to the church (verse 41). How did they become part of the church?
2. Mention the things they devoted themselves to (verse 42)?
3. Why are these things important?
4. How can we be devoted to the things of God and also be effective in other areas (e.g. work, home etc.) of our life?
5. What two meeting places are mentioned in verse 46?
6. Why is Christian fellowship so important - Acts 2:47, Heb 10:23-25, 1 Cor 1:9
7. Do you think God has a purpose for your being in a particular church or fellowship?
What is it?
For an article on this study click here